Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Withdrawal II

Withdrawal Symptoms:Anxiety Dizziness Fatigue Vomiting Restlessness Muscle and joint pain Jolting electric "zaps” Tingling sensations Fever Abdominal discomfort Flu symptoms and general malaise Sleep disturbance and insomnia Nightmares Vivid dreams Anorexia, agitation IrritabilityAggression Confusion Memory and concentration difficulties Lethargy Tremors Headache Insomnia Nausea Visual hallucinations Diarrhea Blurred visionVertigo Gait disturbances Sweating Weakness MyalgiaChills and hot flashes Crying spells Suicidal thoughts,



Pretty impressive list neh?



So I called the Consultaion Nurse at Group Health, just to ask a couple of questions. I still have the splitting headache, tremors, cold sweats. I also haven't really slept for two days. Getting anything technical accomplished is a real challenge.

I wanted to know a couple of things.

Are the withdrawal symptoms going to get any worse? Can't say, maybe yes maybe no.

How much longer will they last? Can't say.

What would be my best course of action given that I WILL NOT EVER TAKE THAT CRAP AGAIN?

It would be best to go refill your prescription and taper off.

And who provided you with this information?

The Drug Company.

Let me get this straight. A company provides you with a drug which they know is addictive, does not warn you that it is addictive and you will undergo very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. When you stop taking it, it is very unpleasant, and the only course of action is to wean yourself away by taking more of the same drug that got you there in the first place. After all they are a drug company.

What is the whole reason de etre for a drug company?

To sell drugs.

Somebody want to explain the ethics of this to me?

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Sadly, I'm not sure ethics has much place in marketing any more, especially with the drug companies.

Sarah said...

Hope you do start to feel better soon, too!!!!!!

Al said...

Sarah: I can tough it out as lomg as it doesn't get any worse. But I could sure use some sleep.

sue said...

Ohhh... *pats Al on the back*... I've been there, sweetie... no fun at all. Hope it gets better for you soon.

Ethics? Yeah... don't think they exist in this circumstance.

Al said...

Sue: You, too? When I talked to people at work, one of them had been through it. His withdrawal was worse than mine. It included visual hallucinations.

Rick said...

Ethics? It's all good as long as Dr. Feelgood gets his free samples of oxycodon.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow...I've been away for a few days...I had NO idea all this was going on.

That sucks.

I sure hope you feel better soon. I know I've had withdrawls of a different kind and it really REALLY bites.

Fish said...

Hi Al, I have every sympathy, mine was self inflicted of course, but I recognise the symptoms you describe.

It passes chief, it doesn't feel like it will, but it does - not much comfort to you now I know, but I promise that one day you will be saying exactly this to someone else.

Good luck friend.

Al said...

Rick: I think the call tah "Situational Ethics" Which means no ethics at all.

PQ: Not to worry. I finally got some sleep last night, and I feeel semi-coherent today.

Fish: Great to hear from you. I know you certainly have gone through you own mound of crap recently. Sometimes all we can do is persevere.