Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Zoloft Withdrawal

A little over a year ago the doctor put me on Zoloft. My daughter was on drugs and had threatened to kill herself. Mrs A's daughter was with a criminal. Mrs A's job was creating way too much stress for her.

So for a year I took Zoloft. 50 mg a day. It helped, but I never cared for the side effects.

Well, my daughter is straight, employed and expecting. Mrs A's daughter is with a guy I approve of, and Mrs A. just retired.

So when I ran out of Zoloft last Friday, I decided not to refill the prescription.

They don't tell you when they prescribe it that if you quit you will go through withdrawal.

I started feeling wierd on Monday. Monday night I couldn't sleep, started having cold sweats and developed a killer headache. When I did nod off I had very vivid and strange dreams. I would wake up, and when I went back to sleep it would dump me right back in the same dream.

I got up and took Tylenol, but it really didn't help. I have a case of the shakes and the headache is very strange, not like anything I have had before. If I had known I would have to go through this when I wanted to quit I would have reconsidered taking it in the first place.

Oh well, it will get better with time. But I will never take that crap again.

6 comments:

Rick said...

You might wanna give your doc a call. I don't think cold turkey is what they suggest. I quit taking Paxil many years ago, but they weaned me off with lithium.

Al said...

Rick: I might have to do something about it if I don't start feeling better pretty soon. Mrs A wanted to run me in to the doctor's today but I figured I'd just tough it out.

rennratt said...

Don't mess with this stuff.

Withdrawal can have some really nasty side effects!

Al said...

Renn: Yeah, and I am having some of them. I wish I would have known going in, but the doctor never talked about withdrawal.

sue said...

Pssst.... you aren't supposed to quit cold turkey, hun...

Al said...

Sue: So they told me after I started going through withdrawal.