Monday, February 25, 2008

Decisions, decisions


The pictures are of my 1977 Datsun 280Z The bottom one shows what the paint job does. It changes from Emerald Green to Cobalt Blue depending on the direction of the light. It is truely spectacular.
It is my baby. I have spent a lot of time and money making it just the way I wanted it. I take it to car shows. It is dependable and fast.

I am also thinking of selling it. It will not be easy for me, because I love this car. So why am I selling it?
A new sports car has come into my life. Actually, she is two sports cars. Both 1973 Jensen Healeys.
I know, I know I am fickle. And I am probably doing this for all the wrong reasons. But the new car will take down it's top for me any time I want. This was never an option with Z. Sure she is pretty and fast, but taking her top off was never an option.
Z was battered and neglected when I first saw her, but I saw the potential, so I pulled her out of the gutter and polished and sanded and painted until I was proud to drive her down the street. I saw lots of people do double-takes. When I pulled in to the Nissan dealership, the entire sales staff came out to look.
But my new lady is English, and though everyone knows how temperamental English sports cars are, she is such a classic example of the English Sports Car. So what is she is a little down on her luck. She is not much worse off than Z was when I got her. All it takes is time and money.
What money?
The money I would get if I sold Z.
And besides, she will take her top down any time I want.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

8 comments:

Michael said...

Boy that would be a tough decision, that is certainly a beautiful sports car. On the other hand, a convertible would be nice.

Better you than me Al!

Al said...

Michael: I am leaning towards the whole top-down-wind-in-my-hair-windy-road thing. Maybe I'll float a fly on the waters of Craigslist and see if anyone bites.

Rick said...

Topless is good, but can she suck the chrome off a trailer hitch?

Al said...

Rick: Heck, when I get done she'll suck the ball off the trailer hitch.

Sarah said...

That is a beauty! Much nicer than my old 1974 Datsun 710 stationwagon. When I had it repainted after however many years in the Arizona and Iowa sun, the paint guy called me back up and said, "You asked for the new paint to match the current color, right?"

This was the cheapest option, and what I'd chosen.

He then wanted to know, "Do you want me to match the exterior current color, or the color inside the door frames where it hasn't faded?"

Very funny!

Hope you enjoy whatever cars you end up with!!!

Al said...

Sarah: When I got it, it was mottled several shades of gray and silver. It looked seriously like it had some disease. It had several places that were rusted out. Nothing that a couple of months and a couple of thousand dollars couldn't fix.

sue said...

Oooooo.... what a beautiful paint!
guess this is going to be a difficult decision, then again I understand a mans' love with his vehicles! I'm married to one of 'em... ;)

Al said...

I need to do a couple of things before I sell it, like put in a new alternator. I would alco like to do a cut and polish on the paint. At least that makes a reason to delay the decision.