Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Jugglin'

I've been trying to handle about three things at once lately. Trying to do end-of-the-month data, get all the bases covered for our department move, check access levels for the people going over later this month, do some number crunching for the boss.....

Oh wait a minute, that's four, and that means I just dropped one or all of them.

Besides that, I was perusing Craigslist and found a car for R. She had asked me to keep and eye out for an inexpensive set off wheels, since she is without a car.

I came across a 1985 Volvo Turbo 4 door sedan for sale for $600. I have a quite a bit of experience with Volvo's, having owned a couple of them. The are safe dependable cars, get reasonable gas mileage. So what if they are butt ugly. The only problem I have had with mine was that when they were old and pretty thoroughly used up, they just wouldn't die.

I once bought a 70's Volvo wagon with 120,000 miles on it. The transmission whined and it popped out of third gear if you backed off on the gas pedal. I figured that I would repair the transmission when it got bad, no big deal. Five years and 100,000 miles later, it was still chugging along, popping out of third gear. But it WOULDN"T DIE. I cursed it, I abused it, I did everything short of deliberately breaking it, but it just hung in there and hung in there.

Finally, having moved on to a different car, it sat in the driveway. A neighbot approached me about selling it to someone who needed cheap reliable transportation, so $5oo.oo later it drove off. Two years later I saw the same car chugging through town.

So I am trying to get in touch with my daughter to see if she can come up with the money. She has worn out any credit at the National Bank of Dad, but I'll take her down and take a look at it, and I'll do the brake job for her.

But she needs to call me back and lete me know because this car won't last for long at that price.

2 comments:

sue said...

We've had Honda cars that were like that... as a matter of fact, we still have two of 'em that are still chuggin' away in the family at waaay over 150,000 miles (maybe even into the 200,000 by now).

Good luck with the juggling. Been there,done that. Have I mentioned I can't juggle? Yeah...

Al said...

Sue: I amm managing to keep three things gooing at once. Just don't add a fourth or they all go.