Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Preemtive Action

Now that Mrs A. has semi-retired she tends to get her knickers all in a bunch about financial stuff. She will suddenly panic because she isn't bringing in much, and we will be countin' cornflakes. I keep telling her that we can live very comfortably on my salary, but because she can't just go buy whatever strikes her fancy, she over-reacts.

Her birthday and our fifth anniversary are in early April, and we always go to the Lake Quinault Lodge for the weekend. I told her that we might not be able to go this year. This was not because we can't afford it, it was because I figured they would want me to work the weekend. Since the body section will be a little late getting here, I will probably be safe taking the weekend and going to the Lodge. So I made the reservations today, and then called her up to let her know we were going.

She was, of course, ecstatic.

But I have an underlying motive.

The Jensen Healey's that were sold in Europe had Dellorto carbs on them. They are much better carbs, and look a lot cooler than the Strombergs, but the setup is expensive. You need a different intake manifold also. The Jensen Healey Preservation Society lists the set up for $2295.00. It also says they do not have it in stock.

Today for shits and grins, I checked on e-bay and there is a pair of Dellorto's up for grabs. I put in a minimum bid for $300.00. If I got the carbs, and didn't take her to Lake Quinault, there would be hell to pay. So I booked the weekend to silence any possible complaints.

Sneaky, huh?

4 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Sneaky and SMART too! :)

Al said...

PQ: I figure it was better than saying "Dear, I bought you a set of Dellorto Carbs for your birthday!"

Michael said...

That's what you call strategic thinking Al, a definite "leadership attribute"... be sure to take credit for that at next year's salary review! ;-)

Al said...

Michael: Depends on who is doing the review. Sometimes it is better not to let people there was a multi-level plan.