Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Waiting for Something to Happen

I'm in a holding pattern right now. Half of our group will be moving on Friday (Me included), so They aren't going to give me anything to do that has any meat to it. I have one data analysis project I need to wind up, but that's pretty much it.

Data analysis is something I am very good at but hate. Somehow I always seem to get the assignments like that, because everyone knows I can do them. When they want someone to figure out how to do it, I start by telling them "Well, you can take an extract out of system X and dump into Y, cut and paste the elements and sort it and then just compute the differential by........

You get the idea. They take my comment to mean I WANT to do this activity. So I tell them "If you give someone some budget, this can be automated to a single step automated process." They always say "OK, but just for now can you do it for us?" Of course the money never comes to hire a programmer and as long as I continue to produce the data, management is happy as heck.

To me it seema a little like having a NASCAR driver doing oil changes at Jiffy Lube.

So a lot of things are hanging right on the edge of happening right now.

I am reminded of the cartoon that shows two buzzards sitting on a cactus. One says to the other "Patience my ass, I'm going to kill something."

8 comments:

sue said...

yeah...good luck with that... ;)

Rick said...

Me, too. Today, I was asked if I wanted an overworked, under-paid administrative assistant's job. S'cuse me? Have you read the resume?

Al said...

Sue: I have worked for a couple of years to get to the position where I want to be, now there is thes asshat trying to insinuate his way into authority by trying to take credit for my work. Today I told him "I am doing what the boss asked." His reply "Don't you think I have something to say when it comes to your promotion."

Rick: Hell I created the position I am going to, WTF does anyone else have to do with it. His nose is so far up the bosses ass that when the boss opens his mouth to speak, you can see his nose.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Let's all quit, pool all our money and buy an island JUST for us bloggers. No non-bloggers allowed.

It's gotta have lots of booze, lots of aspirin and lots of tanning lotion. Oh and plenty of wireless internet availibility! ;)

Anonymous said...

Just think of all the free blogging time you'll have this week!

Al said...

PQ: And you, of course will be our Monarch. Alas, I am afraid if we pooled our money it wouldn't but much of an island.

ncp: Unfortunately it hasn't provided me with any free time yet. Free time is kinda like tomorrow: it never gets here.

sue said...

I second Stacy's idea!

Al said...

Sue: I'm all for it, but our assetts probably wouldn't buy much of an island.