Monday, August 18, 2008

Big $tep

The last several years I have been heating my house with a pellet stove. I have a very efficient stove, which burns so clean you can even burn it when there is a burn ban on. It is fairly inexpensive to run (about $80.00 a month in the winter). I have no complaints about it.



However, thinking long tern, I have to add a better heating system if I am ever going to sell my house. You would never sell a house with a pellet stove as it's primary heat source. It would be fine as a backup, but not as primary.



I also have an ancient heat pump heating system, which is pretty much shot. The heat exchanger is shot, and just to replace it would be about three grand. But that would be the equivalent of putting a new engine in a beater car.



So I have decided to put in a whole new heat pump system. I had a sales guy out on Friday to look over what I had. The elecrical panel and everything is fine, and the vents and everything else. But the interior heat exchanger and blower need to be replaced.



I had estimated the cost to be six to ten grand., and it looks to be around the bottom end of that price range.



What I really wanted was a ground loop heat exchanger, but when I looked into the cost, I stopped checking when the number got up aound $20,000.00.



The sales guy is supposed to call me back today with the figures, and I will then go into my haggling mode. Haggling is a lost art in this country. People just go pay whatever somebody says. I very seldom pay full price for things. I don't mean little stuff, I mean major purchases, like a car.

Got to go sharpen my wit.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Bargaining was one of my favorite things about South Africa and Egypt! Too bad most people look at you funny here and demand full price. Should get some tips from you before ever thinking about a major purchase...19 billion years from now when I have money to make major purchases!

rennratt said...

I do my best to avoid major purchases at ALL.

I somehow end up getting deals because I happen to be friends with someone who 'does X for a living'.

If I ever have to haggle, though? I am TOTALLY calling my dad, my bonus dad, or YOU.

Al said...

Sarah: Im getting four contractors to submit bids. Then we'll get down to the "Well your coompetitor says he can do it for xxxx, maybe you can do it a little cheaper?"
"I'll think about it."

Renn: I''m sure you would do well. Just do your homework before you talk to anyone. Then go for the throat.

Anonymous said...

New heat system? Ow Oweee Ouch.

Al said...

ncp: Not a way I would choose to spend my hard earned money, but heat is an admirable thing when it's freezing outside.