Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Some Times You Gotta Wonder Why

My mom has a time/share condo on the Oregon Coast. She doesn't go there any more, but has a lot of fond memories of going there with my dad.

So we sibs get the use of it as long as we pay the maintenance fee and usage. We get three weeks a year, and Mrs A. and I usually take one of the weeks. It is one of the highlights of the year for us. Unfortunately, we can't go this year. We are being fiscally responsible this year (pretetnding to be growed-up) because of the possibility of a strike by SPEEA this year. Being growed-up isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Where's all this going you ask?

We like to drive around on the Oregon Coast when we are down there. One of the string of little towns strung along the coast is Gearhart.

Yesterday a private plane crashed into a rented house in Gearhart. The two people in the plane were killed.

So were three kids aged 12, 10 and 8. Their family had rented the house for a vacation.

Some times you just gotta ask yourself WHY????

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Asking "why" is definitely one of the reasons being growed-up isn't all it's cracked up to be. Life can be cruel like that. When I was a kid, I just wanted to be older. Now, I'd love sometimes to go back to being so carefree and innocent. Keep i safe as long as you can!!

Al said...

Sarah: It was a rude awakening when I was in a crisis and looking for some expert to go to for advice, and I realized I WAS the expert.

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you had to skip your vacation. We're doing our best to avoid a strike but The Boeing Company is doing its best to provoke one with both us and the IAM..org

Al said...

Ray; I have the distinct impression that the company is not being open to suggestions. I follow the IAM negotiations closely, as I work in ECAT in close association with the shop. Usually the SPEEA offer closely Follows the IAM offer. I have been saving up my strike fund in preparation. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

"pretetnding to be growed-up"

I HATE it when that happens.

Asking why will make you crazy...because you'll never KNOW why. Sometimes there really are no answers.

By the way, you won...;)

Al said...

PQ: So what's my "Prize"?

Rick said...

Why rent a house? Or why have kids? What was the question again?

Al said...

Rick: Or why go on vacation at all?

rennratt said...

Wow.

I can't imagine what the families are all going through.

How awful.

Al said...

Renn: Having your kids die before you hs to be the hardest thing I can imagine. Knock on wood.