Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Maybe, maybe not

The first contractor that came out to look at the house didn't call me yesterday like he said he would. I was pretty much ready to sign on the dotted line if the figures weren't too out of line.

But instead, since he didn't call, I am bringing in three more contractors. The first guy will have to go a hell of a long way to get my business. If you tell me you are going to call on Tuesday, you sure as hell better call on Tuesday even if it is to tell me you need another day.

So I have one more coming tonight, and two more tomorrow.

Hell. I don't NEED to do this now. I may just put it off until after the labor negotiations.

We'll just see how eager they are to get my business.

6 comments:

Rick said...

Last year, I had a whole new electric furnace installed for less than three grand. Took about two hours and heats my 3000 sq ft house just fine.

Al said...

Rick: Electric furnaces are fine, but expensive to run. Using my current heat pump on electric heat runs about $200.00 a month. My pellet stove costs about $80.00. A new heat pump, about $50.00.
In the long run, a heat pump is the most efficient way to go, but the up front expense is higher, about double the cost of the electric furnace. The Dollars per BTU work out WAY in the favor of the heat pump, since essentially you are just paying to run a pump and fan.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Make 'em work for it!

Al said...

PQ: With the econoy the way it is, contractors gotta be hungry for business.

rennratt said...

Those that aren't hungry for business simply don't care.

If the initial contractor doesn't call to apologize (sick, whatever...), cross him off the list altogether.

That kind of aggravation is not worth it.

Al said...

Renn: If he is that bad at giving a quote, I can imaagine what kind of a contractor he is. I relly don't need a contractor gone bad story.