Wednesday, August 20, 2008

WHEW!

After running V. to the hospital, getting an ultrasound, getting him to the doctors, fighting freeway traffic, having gotten about five hours sleep, I at at home and things are not looking too bad.

The problem turns out to be a hernia. He will still need surgery to have it corrected, but there is no big immediate crisis. He is cleared to play non contanct sports, and as long as it doesn't get worse, he will be fine. The doc said he could wait as long as five years before getting it taken care of.

Big relief for everyone.

Mrs A is on a big tear. She is in one of her "I have had it up to here" moods. So any little thing will set her off. I had the temerity to disagree with her. V. didn't do the dishes last night. His excuse is a pretty good one, if a bit weak. When he had his physical yesterday, they couldn't find any shot record for him, so they loaded him up with vaccines. He had several shots, and he HATES needles. He claims his arm is real sore, and he doesn't feel well, probably from a mild reaction to one of the shots.

Mrs A. was all fired up to go drag him out of bed and make him do them right now. I told her to give the kid a break, he'd had a couple of pretty traumatic days. She sees this as a betrayal, and got real pissy about it. I told her to just calm down. When will I ever learn not to say that. It is like throwing gas on a fire. You think that I would learn, but some times I can be pretty dense. She says that telling her to calm down is the equivalent of telling her to sit down and shut up. In a way I suppose it is. If I wasn't dead broke, I would run to the florist and buy her some flowers, but tomorrow is payday and I have about five bucks in cash.

I guess I'll be stopping on the way home tomorrow.

I caulked the seams around the window as soon as it stopped pouring, but there wasn't enough time for the caulking to cure before the next thunderstorm hit, so I will be stripping it out and doing it over again as soon as a window in the weather presents itself. It is just barely leaking now, and Saturday is supposed to be sunny, so I guess I know what number one chore will be.

I'd go score some good rum and go on a toot if it wasn't for the fact that I am broke.

I now have three estimates for putting in a new heat pump, They run from a little over siix grand to over eight.

I think I will wait until after the labor negotiations are over before I commit.

6 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow....you've had LOTS going on around your place, haven't you?

Glad to hear that mass was just a hernia...I HATE when they use the "C" word!! SCARY!!!

I'd send you some run but I drank it all on Tuesday night and haven't had time to restock the cabinet!!

Al said...

PQ: Today is payday, so I just might indulge myself. It's been a bit too hectic for me the last couple of days.

Sarah said...

Very, very glad things look pretty good for V. And good for you for sticking up for the kid, though don't let him get away with too much!

Al said...

Sarah: It's a hard line to draw. I think Mrs A is too strict, and she thinks I am too lenient.

rennratt said...

Would she lean to having V do the dishes in the morning, just this once?

I'm SO GLAD that it's 'just' a hernia.

Does this mean no football?

Al said...

Renn: No contact sports, but that's OK because he is into swimming and track.
If he doesn't do them at nnight she will drag him out of bed at 4:00 to do them.