Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Frankenhealey Redux

Automotive projects seem to take on a life of their own, or they die. I regularly visit Craigslist and e-bay motors. You see a steady stream of "Project" vehicles, ranging from a rusting hulk sitting in a field, to almost complete hotrods that people have lost interest in.

This is one of the reasons I am determined to get Frankenhealey on the road this summer. It is real hard to summon up the interest in working on a car when it is nasty outside, unless you have a heated garage, which I don't. What I have is a big deck eight feet in the air, which provides a leaky roof. Nothing like a big drop of cold water down the back of your neck to discourage any enthusiasm.

Today I odered the rebuild kits for the front brake calipers. The first thing of importance is to get the car running, which I have accomplished. After that the second important thing is to get it to stop.

On one hand, I don't want to rush things, because that is when you make mistakes. On the other hand, I have a sense of urgency. The air is beginning to have that "end of summer" smell to it.

Oh well, the parts won't be in for a while. Guess I can get to work on tearing the old water pump off of the engine, since I have a spare sitting right there ready to go.

4 comments:

sue said...

*Yawn* Sounds like waaaay too much work for me. I'd be the one listing it on e-bay. :) I commend your enthusism, tho'...!

Al said...

Sue: Yeah, But you'd be the first in line for a ride after it was all done, I bet.

rennratt said...

If I ever rebuild a car, I am calling YOU.

I mean it.

Al said...

Renn: Trouble is, I only work on them when I want to, so I'm not real reliable.