Thursday, August 28, 2008

Strike stuff

The Machinist will get the Company's "Best and final Offer" today. The Company has made a lot of concessions from their original offer, and I believe the offer is fair.
However, I am not a Machinist, so I have no say.
The people in my work area are irrational, as are most of the people in the Union. They have some of the highest paying jobs in the world, with a benefits package that is pretty damn good. The retirement is proposed to go up to $78 a month for every year of service, which is up $8 a month per year of service. Is it the best retirement package. No. Is it pretty good. Yes, when you add in Social Security, it's good enough to live on.
Every hour on the hour, the Union puppets bang on things and whistle. What a bunch of morons. Who do they think they are trying to impress. Not a single person who hears their juvenile demonstrations has anything to do with the contract offer or could do anything about it if they cared.
Marching at lunch time is a little more appropriate, since it gets media attention and is a pretty good gauge of how things are going. Oh well, I will defend their right to act like a bunch of 12 year old juvenile delinquents, even if I disagree with them.
I certainly don't intend to go around banging on a cow bell when our negotiations go on in December.

8 comments:

Al said...

Sarah: Right on!

Michael said...

I tend to agree with you on the union and the contract. I think it's a good offer based on the current economic climate we're in. I still think they're going to strike but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Al said...

Michael: It takes a 2/3 majority to sanction a strike, and I don't think they have the numbers.

Doo Dah said...

Hi'ya honey
I is BACK!

Al said...

doo dah! Great to see you/hear from you!
I'll be by directly!

Sarah said...

Saw the online articles...sounds like it didn't go so well? Sorry!

rennratt said...

I am not "allowed" to be in a union (illegal in NC), so I don't really understand it all.

Destrukto's Corporate office is in a Union state, though. I believe that I help pay for the benefits.

That hardly seems fair.

Al said...

Renn: I firmly believe in the necessity of Unions. Otherwisw their would be no restraints on the large corporations dooing whatever they want.. But sometimes the Unions go to far. I haave seen corporations driven out of business by the greed of the Unions.