Sunday, August 31, 2008

I guess we'll see...

The IAM Union has recommended to it's members that they reject the contract offer. I think It's pretty stupid. The numbers look pretty good to me, and there aren't any big takeaways.

The Company really can't afford a prolonged labor problem, but I think they made a reasonable attempt to avoid a strike. Of course, the Union can vote down the contract without going on strike, a lesson in how to be ineffectual. They need a 2/3 majority to strike.

Next Wednesday they vote on the contract and strike authorization, and I won't make a call. I don't think it is a matter of numbers any more. It is a contest to see who has the biggest balls. If things go as usual, the members will get liquored up and whipped into a frenzy, and they'll vote for anything they are told to do. Mindless sheep.

On a lighter note, last night Mrs A. and I went to Jazz Alley to see Lee Ritenore & friends. It was a fun evening of food and funky jazz. I love it when a group of accomplished musicians get together and jam. They were obviously having a great time, jamming off each other's riffs. Mrs A especially enjoyed the keyboard player, Patrice Russian. She has a long, varied and successful career. She so obviously enjoyed herself and the music, it was contagious. It's been a while since we have been to Jazz Alley, but we always have a good time.

And last but not least, V. is being a typical tennage asshole. I swear, it it wasn't against the law, I would beat the crap out of him. Friday night he didn't do the dishes or take out the garbage, so Mrs A told him to do them before he left for Crosscountry practice. He told her that was bullshit. Told her she was being unreasonable. This woke me out of a sound sleep. I don't wake up all nice and smiley. So I got out of bed and yelled at him and told him to shut the hell up and do as he was told. Every time he opened him mouth I jumped right down his throat. Eventually we made peace and I gave him a ride to practice.

This morning when we got up, he had not done the dishes or taken out the garbage. When I started in on him his reply started with "I didn't think.." I stopped hin and said "Yeah, you got that right, you didn't think. Well don't bother to ask us for anything. No rides, no money, no friends over, no nothing."

4 comments:

rennratt said...

So the union/company standoff is basically a grand scale peeing contest? Wow. Good luck with all of that, my friend.

As for V, well. Sounds like grand scale grounding, eh? Let us know how it all turns out.

Al said...

Renn: You got it right about the Union/Company thing. Both want to show THEY are in charge.
As far as V. goes, I think I will go throw the circuit breaker to his room this morning.

Al said...

Rick: As good a way to settle things as any other. And makes about as much sense.

sue said...

I remember those "teen" years well... and am so glad they're over. *sigh*