Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Bloodwork

I saw in the paper yesterday about the football coach who kicked several of his players off of the team because they were giving blood at a school blood drive when they were supposed to be at practice. What a jerk!

It made me think of this story.

When I was stationed on Okinawa, the members of the Psychatric Service hung out a certain bar, Mama Susies. That wasn't the real name of the bar, but I can't remember the real name.

Mama Susie was a retired madam, and she knew everyone in town. If you wanted some companionship, all you had to do was mention it to Mama Susie, and she would send out word. The Girls had to pass her muster before she would hook you up. She was in her 60s, and she was a real hoot.

We found out that she had a niece that needed gall bladder surgery, but they couldn't afford the blood required for the operation. At that time, blood was going for $600.00 a pint, and they needed six pints.

I checked in with the brass, and the Army would not allow us to go to the Okinawan Hospital to give the blood. We would have to give the blood at the aid station, and then transport it down to Naha.

So I got together five other guys and we went into the aid station and gave blood. We brought along a cooler and ice, and loaded the blood in the cooler.

We went out and waved down a cab. He wanted to know what we had in the cooler. We looked at each other, and without saying a word, flipped open the cooler.

The poor taxi driver's eyes got huge, he got very agitated, and started yelling in Japanese at us. I didn't understand a single word he said except for "#10 GI, #10 GI" as he sped away.

We finally called in an on-base taxi, who took us to the Oknawan Hospital. He kept looking in his rear view mirror very nervously for the whole trip. But we did manage to get the blood taken care of and delivered.

The operation was a complete success.

I could do no wrong at Mama Susies. When I ordered a drink I would get a water glass full of whatever brand I wanted with just a little mixer. I never needed more than one. And she wouldn't take my money.

The only problem was she kept trying to marry me off to her "Nieces".

And there was one........

but that's a different story.

6 comments:

Rick said...

There ya go. And I thought I'd gotten away with something when I drew Lottery #364.

Al said...

Although I would have preferred to be home, I must admit that my experience in the Army was mostly enjoyable, except for the uniforms and taking orders.

Michael said...

At least you got to travel a bit... I joined the Air Force and wound up assigned to a base just 50 miles from home. Yeah, see the world... right... ;-)

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Interesting story...and stepping up to the plate like that was awesome of you!

Now, about this other sotry...;)

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I meant "story"...not "sotry".

I tired today, okay??? Very very tired...:)

Al said...

Michael: It was cool being stationed somewhere for a couple of years so I could absorb the culture.

Stacy: Maybe you need a nap? I'm on my way!