Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Squirrely blog

We were sitting around waiting for the Evacuation Drill this morning. We weren't supposed to know that it would be at 9:00, but I have my sources......

We started telling critter stories, and I remembered this one:

We had a family of squirrels that lived in to top of and old lightning struck Pine in the back of the yard. I have no great feeling for squirrels one way or the other, but females seem to find them "Cute".

So my daughter and my ex decided to hand feed them on the deck right off of the living room. After a couple of months, they had gotten to the point where the squirrels would take food from their hands. They would wait outside the sliding glass door, and all you had to do was crack the door open, and stick your hand out, and they would come up and take food right from your hand.

I wasn't real enthused about it. I could see a home invasion in the near future.

R. had gone to the store with her mom and gotten a big chocolate bar. She had taken the outer wrapper off, realized she was going to want a glass of milk to go with it, laid it down on the floor still in it's silver wrapping, and gone off to the kitchen.

A squirrel had been watching from out on the deck. The sliding glass door was open.

Mr. Squirrel darted in and started dragging her candy bar away.

"Hey R. you better get out here and rescue your candy bar. Your friend the squirrel just stole it!"

She comes running out of the kitchen as he makes his break for the door, R. in hot pursuit.

The candy bar was heavy enough that he couldn't jump up on the handrail of the deck and into the tree beside it.

But he was determined to keep it. So they ran around and around the deck for several circuits.

Finally he got tired dropped the candy bar and fled. R. brought the candy bar in and I looked it over. Other than a few tooth marks in one corner it was still fine, so I trimmed off the chewed on part and let her eat the rest of it.

I sure wish I had had a cam corder at the time.

7 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

You're right....squirrels are ADORABLE! I've raised several of them from little blind pink babies to adulthood and then set them free.

The PK calls them "tree rats".

So, I guess it really is a girl thing! :)

Al said...

I have been known to refer to them as "Rats with furry Tails"

Daphnewood said...

I am with the PQ, squirrels are very cute. That story was great. I like squirrels but lately I am very fond of chipmunks. They are so tiny and hyper. Our chipmunk never would take food from my hand but it would come pretty close to steal peanuts I left for it on the porch.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ooo...when we used to go to Pennsylvania and visit my grandparents, I LOVED seeing those little chipmunks all over the place. Wish we had 'em here! ;)

Al said...

Chipmunks: Mice on steroids. But cute. I once caught one (by hand) of course it immediately bit me.

Rick said...

My son had a similar infatuation when he was little, but didn't stop the squirrels at the door... he invited them in! That ended the day one of them grabbed a peanut and decided it was better to stash it inside the house. Took us an hour to chase the little bastard out!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.