Friday, October 13, 2006

So Long
  • Russ
  • First off, you need to understand that I was not real close to Russ. Sure we were shirt-tail relatives, and I saw him at family functions, and my daughter worked for him for a couple of years, but that was about it. We had a few friends in common, but we weren't buddies.

    He gave my brother Bill a great deal on a 100th Anniversary Road King, and that gains him points in my book.

    Russ was the Golden Child. He had it all. All the toys, the cars, the big house on the lake, and connections all over the West Coast (and beyond). More money than he knew what to do with.

    I was green with envy for the things he had, but here I am living and he is not. All of the things he had couldn't give him one extra moment when his number came up. I feel so sorry for his daughter and his mom and dad, and the rest of his family.

    I didn't particularly like Russ. He was so arrogant and self assured. To be fair to him, my perceptions were skewed because he had all the things I wanted. He was a very tallented custom bike builder, and won all kinds of awards for his bikes. He could schmooze with the best of them, and managed to keep things on an even keel under some pretty chaotic circumstances.
    He got along with everyone.

    I remember R. talking about The Banditos coming down when she worked there and basically taking over the store. But Russ kept it all under control. He did equally well when Evil Kenival was there demanding attention.

    So I will go out and get a small bottle of Crown Royal tonight and sit down and toast Russ.

    Russ, wherever you are I hope they have a special fast machine for you, be it helicopter, car, boat or bike. Your flame burned too bright and went out too quickly.

    2 comments:

    Michael said...

    I didn't know Russ and that's not the style of motorcycling I'm in to, but I still read your earlier post and read up on his life a bit. It came up in a phone call with my ex just now. She wanted to know if I knew of any reason hundreds of motorcycles would be riding past her house in Federal Way. I remembered your post and sure enough, the memorial ride is today and heading down south to Puyallup. Can't image it was anything else...

    Al said...

    I'll be posting some pictures of the hundreds and hundreds of bikes at the memorial.

    Small world