Monday, October 30, 2006

Frost

Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldnt want to live there.......

But sometimes reality bitch slaps you in the face, and you just can't ignore it.

The first frost of the year is that way. Although you know that summer is over, you grasp at the last vestiges of sunshine and warmth, cozied up in your denial like a baby with its blankie.

And the next thing you know, you are out there in your winter coat with your gloves on, scraping ice off of the windshield. Gone are the illusions of summerhood. The question on your mind at the moment is "Is that water or black ice on the road?"

This is no daydream B.S. question like you are normally contemplating at this time of morning. We are talking the possibility of injury, mayhem, destruction and maybe a scratch on your car.

Will the overpass be iced over? SHould you take the long way around and avoid the possible mess?

And all this before the morning coffee kicks in.

Oh well, adrenalin has a way of waking you up.

As the old poem has it:

The frost is on the pumpkin

and the fodders in the shock

and your cars in the ditch

or something like that...........

5 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Black ice? Frost?

Sometimes I am so glad I live in the south...I'd never go ANYWHERE if I had to drive on ice!

Al said...

Yeah, but there's nothing like the burst of adrenalin when the tires break loose, and the car starts drifting around.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh, I'd have things bursting alright...but I can almost guarantee you, it'd be my bladder bursting...not adrenalin!

Al said...

Folks here run and hide under the covers at the first sign of a snowflake. I spent a couple of winters in Idaho. Now THAT'S snow, when you don't see the ground from October thru March.

Al said...

Stacy: I love to take my grandson out when it is slick and spin donuts in a parking lot. It totally freaks him out.