Friday, October 27, 2006

Parent Teacher Conferences

So last night was Parent Teacher Conferences for V.

All of his teachers said basically the same thing. V. is the smartest kid in class, but does barely enough to get by. He should be getting straight As. Blah, blah, blah. No news here.

Except for a new ripple in the stratosphere.

V. has always talked too much in class. Except now he is using words that are not acceptable in an institution of higher learning. Holy Shit! I wonder where that came from.

We have noticed a predeliction to scatology in his vocabulary recently, and have warned him about it. I guess it's time to break out the cuss jar.

Every time someone uses a cuss word, they have to donate a quarter to the cuss jar.

I am already planning the trip to China on the proceeds.

6 comments:

Rick said...

How old? At some point, scatology is the only language his peers speak.

Al said...

He is 14, and new to High School, so he is working hard to be cool.

Daphnewood said...

My husband refuses to have one of those (cuss jar) in the house because he knows he would never have any pocket money. My boys love bad words because they think it is absolutely scandalous to say them. However, they also know mom will break out the soap. I remember one time telling them "hey kids, parents are not perfect so sometimes you have to do I say and NOT do as I do. Get over it. It is just the way life goes sometimes." They just blinked at me in bewilderment. SO the girl is cuss free and thinks it is horrible but the boys...well I think when they are 14 and new to high school, I'll just borrow your blog entry and change the names where applicable ;)

Al said...

Daphnewood: The cuss jar has been amazingly effective. Once there was a financial penalty attached, his cussin' ceased. So far I am the only one that has contributed.

I'll never make it to China at this rate.

Anonymous said...

Hi Al,
How are you and Mrs. A. getting along? better I hope.

Al said...

Things are much better. It's hard to make the decision togo with "Tough Love" but you can't let your kids drag you down.