Friday, October 20, 2006

Goin' t' Jail

Tomorrow I'm going to jail.

No. no, no not like that.

I'm going with Morning Light for a concert to the Women's Correctional Facility at Mission Creek, ouside Belfaire, Wa.

It will be a busy and confusing day, partly because Mrs A will not be accompanying me. Her dog, Molly is ill, and she can't bring her, and she can't leave her home. So Mrs A. will stay home with Molly while I go to prison. Hope she doesn't forget about me.

We have been doing this for a couple of years, but this will be my first time solo. It will be a little uncomfortable without her, but I will do it anyway, because we have made a commitment, and I take that very seriously.

Not a lot of people choose to minister to the incarcerated. It is very uncomfortable when those big doors go CLANG behind you, and there is a whole set of other gates before you.

But this is probably the most appropriate audience in the whole world. About 80% of the people in low security facility facilities are there for drug and alcohol related offences. The Message of the band is that it is possible to have a whole lot of fun without drugs and alcohol.

And of course that you need to find a higher calling in your life.

Although it is backgound, they always sign off with their song "King of Kings" because that is what the message is.

When you lay down tonight, think about your life and ask "What am I doing and where am I going."

Talk to God and maybe you will find the answer within your self.

My weekend will, if nothing else, help to provide a channel that someone might use to get to a different place.

What did you do with your weekend?

2 comments:

rennratt said...

I watched over a croup filled six year old.

She sobbed because she was too sick to go to church.

She thought I wouldn't allow it because she was in trouble.

She didn't understand that it was because she had a fever.

I hope that she feels the same way at age sixteen.

Al said...

I hear you. Our fourteen year old who knows everything, has to be dragged to church screaming ang struggling.

Gotta run if I,m not going to be late for jail....

Thanks for stopping by