Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Chronic Chaos

Yesterday when I got the mail, there was a summons for R.

She got a DWI last year and is still working through the Courts. I guess she has to show up for something or the other this week.

She got a job offer, but turned it down because she doesn't have anyplace to stay right now, plus has the court date. I am not real clear what happened where she was staying. I am supposed to help her go get her stuff tonight and I'll find out. I'll give her the Summons while I'm at it.

We received notice last week about the "sudden and tragic" death of a co-worker. I had worked with the guy about ten years ago. He was my Functional Manager. Everyone speculated all week long what had happened.

The Services were last Friday, and it was suicide.

He was only 47, and left a couple of kids and a wife. He had this big booming laugh, and seemed find the humor in just about every situation. We had attended some of the same meetings recently, and he seemed to be the same as he always had been. It was a real shock that such a vital seemingly happy guy with friends in many countries would choose to pull his own string. I admit that it jarred me.

His wife got up at the funeral, and without being specific, said that he was carrying some burdens he could not divest himself of, and didn't know how to get help, so he chose the only exit he could figure out.

What a shame.

4 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That's terrible news...how sad! Especially for his family. I'm very sorry to hear it...:(

Al said...

PQ: It kinda knocked me for a loop. Kevin was a great Supervisor and a heck of a good guy.

rennratt said...

I'm so sorry.

It always seems to be the ones we'd least expect.

Al said...

Renn: I went through this whole "If I had only known...." He trusted me to do something at work that I didn't have the acedemic qualifications for. WE suceeded because he believed in me.