Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Who knows what evil?

I am currently reading "Red Dragon", which is a precursor to "Silence of the Lambs". Hannibal Lector is the scariest villian EVER. The book was a Christmas present from V., and he knew how much I liked the latter. And although I had seen the movie, I had not read the book for "Red Dragon".

I love a good scary movie or book. Oh, I don't mean one of the grossout blood and guts cheap immitations of a scary movie. Or as I like to refer to them "Don't go in the Basement" movies.

"Silence of the Lambs" is both a good book and a good movie, and although there are a couple of gory moments, they are not the focus of the movie.

"Red Dragon" is not quite as good, but still better than most.

The absolute best book for giving me the creeps is "Pet Cemetery" by Steven King. I found the book genuinely disturbing. The kind of book that made me so uneasy that I had to ask myself "Why am I reading this?"

After "Red Dragon" maybe I'll go reread a nice Louis LAmour.

9 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I read "Red Dragon" too!

And I loved "Pet Cemetery"...in fact, I'm a huge fan of most of Mr. King's stuff...my favorite being "The Stand".

The PK LOVES L. LAmour's stuff and I tried to but just couldn't get into them. The only western-like book I ever really liked was "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith. It's all about Florida and the area I'm from but set way back in the 1800's. It was pretty good...I was pleasantly surprised!

Right now, I'm reading some Dean Koontz...."The Husband". So-so thus far.....:)

Al said...

I just finished "The Husband". Too bad we don't live closer. we could loan each other books.

"The Stand" is by far Stephen Kings best book. I have both the long and short versions.

If you ever want to try L. LAmour again, I'd suggest you read "Sitka" or "The walking Drum". Neither one is an oater, and they are both worth reading.

Rick said...

Which one featured Hannibal eating the detective's brain while they discussed it? *SHUDDER*

fakies said...

Loved Silence of the Lambs, but I wasn't a fan of Hannibal or Red Dragon, the movies or the books.

However, I am a big fan of L'Amour. I own every book of his and have read most of them more times than I can count.

Al said...

Rick: I think that was "Hannibal", the grossest of the three.

Trinamick: I have every one of LL's books, and have read them many times, especially the Sackett books.

rennratt said...

As a diehard SK fan, I must insist that "Needful Things" was the best book ever.

For short stories, however, "Rage" is definitely the one.

If you like page turners, I would recommend Jonathan and/or Faye Kellerman.

Al said...

Renn: I've read a quite a few Johnathan Kellerman.

I dont have every S, but close.

Michael said...

Not into westerns myself, but I do have a substantial collection of scifi/fantasy, mysteries, and just about everything Dean Koontz has written. I have a decent amount of Stephen King too, and "The Stand" is also a personal favorite.

Al said...

Michael: "The Watchers" and Twilight Eyes" are my favorite Koontz books.

Denny: Good, but a little disturbing.