Thursday, January 04, 2007

Good News/Bad News

Tomorrow I go in for oral surgery. This is the fourth and final oral surgery. Because of my diabetes, I have poor circulation in my gums, which means I am prone to infections. The way to eliminate this is go in and remove some of the gum tissue to eliminate the "Pockets" I have had this procedure done on three of the four quadrants in my mouth.

Tomorrow is the fourth and final stage. The alternative was to have em' all yanked and go with dentures. That's for old people, and I'm only 58. I'll fight to keep what I have. Once they start removing things, where does it stop?

"Mr. Warren, you have an infarcted toenail, we need to remove your leg."

Or

"You have an aggravated bilateral hangnail, the arm needs to go, up to the elbow."

NO. They are mine, I'll fight for them.

So I get a couple of days of laying around, high on Percocet, trying to read. I picked up "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz yesterday, so if I can focus and put together a train of thought, I'll have something to read.

Sometimes the dreams are wierd.

8 comments:

Rick said...

Ugh. My sympathies. If it's any consolation, it's not just an old people's surgery... I had it done in my early thirties. But it might've had something to do with the illicit substances I was so fond of back in the day.

Al said...

Well, I figure my diabetes is only half to blame. Smoking is probably the other half. But when I quit smoking for a year, things didn't get any better, so I figured "What the Hell?"

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

"high on Percocet"

Hey, at least there's a good side to it, huh? ;)

I think you'll like "Forever Odd"...I'm waiting for the last in the series ("Brother Odd") to come out in paperback (which is like a friggin' YEAR from now). "Forever Odd" was a decent read.

Good luck with the surgery! And...um...will you be blogging under the influence of Percocet? ;)

Al said...

PQ: I liked "Odd Thomas" enough to get the sequel, but not enough to get it hardbound.

I tell people that I'm into the surgery just to get the drugs. As far as Blogging goes, we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe I should add a dissclaimer.....

Michael said...

Blogging on percocet, man you've gotta try that! ;-)

I really like the Odd books too, but like you guys I wait for the paperbacks... I don't have enough shelf space for hardbacks!

Al said...

Michael: I probably have around 1,000 books in 6 book cases, and I have to weed them out again because I'm running out of room.

Daphnewood said...

I hope the oral surgery goes well. You can't smoke afterwards. Seriously. It hinders healing. After you heal then return to the cancer sticks ;)

I am just messing with you. Good luck and I will say a prayer for no pain & a quick healing.

Al said...

Daphnewood: Thanks for the good wishes. I don't smoke much ( 3 cigatettes a day) so it wont be too hard to quit for a couple of days.