Thursday, July 19, 2007

Birthdays: Bah Humbug

Other than getting born, nothing good has ever happened to me on my birthday. If it wasn't for the fact that the only way to get around having a birthday is being dead, I would ban birthdays all together.

I put the Blazer in the shop to get the clutch replaced, at a cost of around $1000.00. When the car quit going, it was without warning. One minute it was cruising down the freeway, the next it was in the park-and-ride and wouldn't move. Usually a clutch will give you warning. It will start slipping, then get worse, and finally stop.

Not this one.

I thought it was strange, but it was "Oh well, it's broke. Fix it, quit whining, and get on with it."

The came "THE PHONE CALL" you know the one. The shop calls and says "Mr (Mrs, Ms) X I'm afraid I have bad news".

The transmission is Kaput, finis, done for. The guts are scrambled. The input shaft and the output shaft are not talking to each other.

A new transmission is out of the question. A rebuilt one is about $2,500.00. I told them to go shop the junkyards, but so far they can't find a used transmission.

It is real close to me just pulling the plug on the car. It is worth a little more than the cost of the repairs, but not much.

When R. called me to wish me a Happy Birthday she said she had one of her old phones, and all she needed was to get a new sim card, since the other one was stolen. it is $20.00, so I said I would get her one.

When I told Mrs A. she went ballistic, because I hadn't discussed it with her. It's just $20.00, and I don't know why she is being such XXXXXX about it. So no birthday dinner, no nookie, no nothing.

I hate birthdays.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, that's just cruel.

there ought to be a law about birthday nookie.

Al said...

NC: Yeah, at least one day of the year, the rant and rave switch should be in the "OFF" position.

Anonymous said...

well I was going to say Happy Birthday but it looks like you are done for. Maybe she'll change her mind and wake you up in the middle of the night for fun.

How many candles do I need for the cake?

Al said...

Daphnewood: As I like to put it, it is the 30th anniversary of my 29th birthday

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ah damn...sorry I missed your birthday, Al!

What a coincidence...I'm still 29 too!

(And you're right...it's only $20.00...what's the big deal?)

Al said...

PQ: Mrs A can be a bit of a control freak, and I am not easy to keep between the lines. She resents the fact that I just do things and consult her later.

Michael said...

Happy belated Birthday Al... hopefully it turned out better than you expected!

Al said...

Thank you Michael. They did eventually find a used transmission for $1000.00, so I guess that's as good as it gets.