Monday, July 23, 2007

HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!?!

Sunday we went shopping for new drapes for the Master Bedroom.

After spending a couple of hours looking at different setups, we (And I mean She) settled on what we (she) wanted.

To me, anything that covers the windows is fine. Keeps the light and curious neighbors out. End of the story. Mind you, I stop short of taping cardboard on the windown or hanging sheets. To me $39.95 venetian blinds get the job done perfectly fine.

I understood that fancy folks had drapes that have a couple of layers. Sheers for the "Filtered" look, and heavier stiff to block light. I know because I have seen it in movies and such.

Our new drapes will have FOUR layers. There's the sheers, then ther's the actual curtains after that there, the beads, and lastly the sconces (Or is that Valences?)

When they added all the stuff up, the bill came to over $900.00. Mrs A is beside herself happy. Since she is paying for them, I really can't object. I probably won't get them up til next weekend.

Yesterday, Mrs A. was redecorating. She has bought a bunch of nik-nak Asian stuff which mysteriously appeared out of unknown hiding places. The room is starting to look pretty good.

I know what is coming.

New furniture.

I don't think Mrs A has any of that stashed anywhere.

8 comments:

Rick said...

I was so-o-o-o glad my house is so elevated no one can see in. And the few windows where people CAN see in had pre-existing blinds. Yee-HAW!

Al said...

I don't mind painting, laying flooring, moving furniture, but I will never enjoy putiing up froo-froo stuff.

Anonymous said...

Blinds.

OK, the bedroom also has some drapes that hang down the sides of the blinds.

But that's the only room with fabris on the windows.

$900? Wow - that's commitment.

Al said...

No Celery: When we hitched up we agreed that as long as she chose to work, she only had to pay for groceries, and she could do whatever she wanted with the rest of her paycheck. If she wants to buy curtains, that is fine with me.

rennratt said...

Youch.

To think that Chachi freaked out over the $25 per window "blackout" drapes. I have no style; they are to block light and save energy.

I can't imagine $900 for drapes, but I am partially color blind ('color/shade ignorant' according to the test) - and I hate shopping.

When it's all said and done, I'm betting on a gorgeous room.

I'm so glad that Mrs. A. has a chance to do this - and that she has the eye for such detail.

Post pics if you are able!

Al said...

Renn: The room already looks nice, and that's without the matching bedspread, sheets, comforter, pillow cases and drapes. By the time she is through it will feel like I'mm sleeping in the harem.

HMMMM not a bad thought, that.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

We have a regular old black-out blind in the bedroom at Palace Peanut which does us right fine.

I am SO not into decorating...I really suck at it anyway, so the most minimal I can get away with, the better!

Al said...

PQ: Mrs A. is a decorating whiz. Nothing she likes better than shopping for acessories to give a room a certain "look".