Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Another Gig

As anyone who has been around here for very long knows, I am a Christian. No apollogies, and no preaching. Everyone has to find there own path in life, and I certainly made my side-path journeys.

Born Catholic, I got upset with the Catholic church when I attained the age of Reason. It's probable MUCH too long of a post to put it here.

Mrs A. and I have committed to be crew for a Christian Rock band ML3. Thy have a Myspaceplace, and a blog "newmorninglight". We have been doing this for several years now.

The band consists mainly of recovered alcoholics and drug addicts. It is a powerfultestimony from people who have been there done that.

Mostly they play at prisons and places of incarceration, focusing mainly on the youth facilities. They figure that 80% of the kids in a juvenile place of incarceration are there for drug and alcohol related offences.

What more appropriate audience for a message that you can have a lot of fun without drugs and alcohol, plus if you choose to change your life, here's a bunch of people that will help you once you are out?

I have seensome wonderful results from this. Kids that get out, get wired up, get focused and pointed in the right direction.

This Saturday we are setting up at a church that is sponsoring a homeless "Tent City". It should be an interesting experience.

So instead of watching the Superbowl, we will be working our asses off trying to encourage people who have nothing.

And not regretting a minute of it.

So get off of your asses and give something back.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I will owe up to being currently in the "upset during the age of Reason", but there is something comforting to me in the Sunday morning routine nonetheless. Episcopalianism is, after all, Catholicism Light, right?

As for giving something back, my efforts right now are dedicated to breast cancer orgs, but to each where they can help.

Good for the two of you!

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Let's try this again without all the typos, shall we???

I believe, no matter what religion you are, we're all basically trying to get to the same place when we die (no matter what you call the place).

And you are SO right about kids and the drugs and alcohol. I see the paperwork for kids that have been charged with crimes every single day. Just yesterday, I had a case on a fourteen year old kid caught with cocaine. FOURTEEN!!! I didn't lay eyes on that crap till I was almost 30 years old!!!

It's sad. but you and Mrs. A. and the band sound like you're doing very positive things. That's awesome.

Al said...

Sarah: Each of us has a different path. Glad to hear you are involved in some charitable cause. Breast cancer is a biggie. They need better diagnostic tools and treatments.

PQ: People will follow the same path they have always followed unless sommeone points out a different path to them. The teens in jail are the most likely to respond to a new direction. I have seen kids as yooung as 11 or 12 in Juvie Jail.

Anonymous said...

This year is the year of the walks. I think I have been roped into..uh... 6 so far.

Still, I agree, important to give stuff back, no matter what you believe.

Al said...

ncp: People can always find excuses to not do stuff unless immediately benefits them. Glad to hear you are doing your part.