Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Shock shock

Or sticker shock if you prefer.

I bought a used S10 pickup a few months ago, and sold off my Blazer. The main reason was gas mileage. That and I have wanted to have a pickup to haul stuff around. One of the things I need to haul around is pellets for the pellet stove.

They come on a pallet, one ton of pellets to the pallet (Nice alliteration, huh?). When I went and got my first ton of pellets, the back end of the truck ended up about six inches from the ground, and the nose pointed in the air.

I took back roads home, because I was afraid to get out on the freeway. The front end was so light that at 35 MPH the front wheels kina skipped along the tops of the bumps. I decided that before I got another ton I would beef up the suspension in the back.

I have to mention that once, when I was stopped at a light, I wondered "When the light changes, I wonder if I dumped the clutch, would I do a wheelstand? That would be so cool."

The the image flashed through my mind of the 5:00 news, me standing in the rain, the truck in the middle of the intersection, nose in the air, reporter asking "What were you thinking?"

The image brought me back to earth (So to speak).

Since we are about to run out of pellets, I made an appointment at Firestone to have them put heavy duty shocks and overloads on the back end of the truck.

The cost was just short of $500.00.

YEEOOWWCHCH!

7 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ooo...that DOES sound painful!

""When the light changes, I wonder if I dumped the clutch, would I do a wheelstand? That would be so cool.""

Yeah, it'd be cool as long as I wasn't in the car right behind you! ;)

Al said...

PQ: Yeah, I can just see you behind me on the camera making fun of me and panning for the camera.

Rick said...

I make do with overload springs that I can put on and take off. 'Bout $95 @ Schucks. Wheelies are cool 'till you have to steer. ;-)

Al said...

Rick: Or when you fail to come back down. What you need to steer is a couple of levers attached to the emergency brake cable. If you want to turn left, pull the one attached to the left cable and vice versa.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Yeah, that'd be me! :)

Sarah said...

I would have *loved* to see a truck do a wheelie. Or at least the thoughts going across your mind when you realized that!

Al said...

Sarah: I've been in a truck when it happened. And it wasn't on purpose. It was a real OH SHIT!!! moment.